Monday, January 28, 2013

Cherish the Good Times

You know, it's funny.  When I'm feeling healthy, I think about all the deadlines I have, the bills coming due, the work that needs doing, the events that are upcoming, and so on.  On and on and on my brain goes.  Stress, stress, stress, work, work, work, details, details, details.

When I'm healthy.

When I'm sick?  Not so much.  When I'm sick I think about how much I'd like to sleep through the night without waking up the entire block with a midnight hacking-up-my-spleen episode.  That's it--the missing joy of sleeping through the night.  Who cares about the project that's due a few months from now when I can no longer painlessly swallow orange juice, a beverage I usually enjoy?  And it's really kind of hard to get much writing done when I'm focused on the dry crinkly inflamed skin at the end of my nose that eventually gets that way no matter how soft a facial tissue I buy. 

Maybe I should remember, once this flu runs its course and I return to health, to appreciate the little things more.  I should put a reminder in my calendar a couple of weeks from now suggesting that if my throat isn't sore on that day, I oughtta have a small internal celebration for that.  Maybe I could put a note on my alarm clock a few days from now pointing out that "if you actually slept through the night, it's already a great day!"  Heck, maybe in late February I can schedule a Normal Nose Tip day to celebrate that.   

Okay, so all that may be a bit of overkill, but the point remains that it's too easy to take the good things for granted when you have them, isn't it?

- TOSK

3 comments:

  1. No, I don't think it's overkill to remind yourself in a few weeks that it's a good day because you slept through or have a normal nose again! In fact I think random notes and reminders on our calendars is an awesome idea... stupid stuff like "what was the last flower you stopped to smell?" or "do you know what you had for dinner 3 days ago? Did you enjoy it?" "when was the last time you _____?" Random reminders to stop and relax, take a deep breath and just enjoy the moment even if it's -10 outside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue! Great ideas there. You're right--it's not overkill to provide as much positive stuff as is available.

      Delete
  2. It's never overkill. I have to remind myself always to celebrate what's good about the day and not being sick, is good. Get better!!

    ReplyDelete