Monday, September 19, 2011

Can writing be taught?

I used to say yes, writing can be taught.  I've taken firm stances, by the way, that nearly everything can be taught, because I've seen it done.  Leadership, for example, can be taught.  Some people point out that leadership uses characteristics that are inherent in the person, but I respond that those traits make leadership easier, but are not necessary.  Leadership, like most things, can be taught, I say. 

It makes sense if you think about it.  I am, after all, a teacher.  Why wouldn't I consider everything teachable? 

Today I'm near to agreeing that maybe the folks who claim writing is unteachable may be right, at least as far as some people go.  I received this e-mail today from a colleague who is otherwise extremely professional and great to work with:


Hello Stephen,

Previously; I petition your help in completing a contract for [redacted]. Most of the information had been sent. However, they are still in need of a letter (see #1 below). Could you please comprise a letter including the information that is still needed?

*sigh* 

No comments:

Post a Comment