Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Mmm, Bacon

"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." - Doug Larson

The Pig, if I am not mistaken,
Gives us ham and pork and Bacon.
Let others think his heart is big,
I think it stupid of the Pig." - Ogden Nash

"Bacon bits are the pixie dust of the food world." - Jim Gaffagan

"I used to have trouble choking down the pills I have to take for controlling my cholesterol, but it's a lot easier now that I wrap them in bacon." - Brad Simanek

"Pork chops and bacon, my two favorite animals." - Homer (Simpson, not the other one)

"Better beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear." - Aesop

"I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, dining on simple bacon, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post, which any human power can give." - Thomas Jefferson

One would assume the nation's third president could afford a few modest cottages, plenty of books, and as much bacon as he desired. One might assume further that after holding that post for a few long years the sentiment he expressed would be well-earned. 

Anyway, on to the topic of today--let's see, what was on my mind--oh, right.  Food.  The food that comes from the cured meat of a pig, specifically.  We're out of my typical breakfast: low-fat, low-calorie, low-everything-that-tastes-good yogurt, washed down with a splended and invigorating helping of Metamucil and then a pot or two of coffee.  Digging through the cabinets, then, I was delighted when my eyes lit upon one of this southern boy's faves: grits.  Thus, I'm pleased to say that I enjoyed a bowl of grits this morning, washed down with hot sauce (the proper way to eat grits has nothing to do with anything sweet, but you already knew that, no?) and the rest of my morning yum-yums.  Mmm, orange-flavored fiber. 

There's nothing that brings bacon to my mind quite like grits.  Or biscuits and gravy.  Or fried eggs.  Or--well, anyway.  Let's just focus on the important part: bacon.

So what's your favorite breakfast?

- TOSK

1 comment: