Saturday, November 29, 2014

NaNoWriMo - November 29th and Counting

Yay, NaNoWriMo is almost over!

Oh, crap--that means NaNoWriMo is almost over. 

Yes, I know that sounded redundant, but those of you who've done this extreme writing sport will get the difference.

And nope, I'm probably not going to win NaNo this year.

I mean, look, I know I could.  Win it, that is.  I'm currently at 37K words, ish, I can probably write 13K words in a single day; heck, I've written 15K words in a single day before.  So with a long, long day tomorrow of blasting through words, I could win.

That, or I could cheat.  See, I used to teach software tricks for a living.  Back when it was Excel 5, I could show you how to get into the flight simulator.  Or, was it a maze?  I can't recall any more, and any copies of that software have long since been relegated to the trash heap.  But yeah, I used to know all the tricks, and even today I know most of them.

Microsoft Word has something ready-made for the NaNo'er who wants to win no matter what.  It's the randomizer function.  Back in the old days, it used to give you x number of "The quick brown fox jumps over..." sentences in y number of paragraphs, which generates a crapton of words in mere moments.  Later they changed it to create a bunch of Latin wordsmut, but these days it's just boring Help tutorial words.  It's still x number of sentences in y number of paragraphs, though, and the command looks like this:

=rand(x,y)

G'head, try it.  Open a blank document and type it in there, only replacing x and y with numbers.  Turns out I need an x of 25 and a y of 30 to finish my NaNoNovel right now.  In fact, with an x of 100 and a y of 100, I can get over 200K words, composed in about 30 seconds.  Woo hoo!  A whole novel, written in 14 keystrokes (fifteen, technically, since we should count the pressing of the Enter key after).

How's that for automation, eh?

Only, it's not a story.  It's just words.  They're not fun to read.  There's really no reason to even waste the bits on my computer, much less pages on a printer, on drivel like that.  So yeah, just--.

No.

I'm simply not gonna do it.

That's not to say my story isn't worth finishing, mind you.  It's a pretty awesome story, with a pretty awesome protagonist who's going through some pretty horrible stuff right now as I write one of the pivotal chapters.  I'm really enjoying writing this, to tell the truth.

The thing is, there's plenty I can blame my not winning NaNoWriMo on.  Most of it is external, too.  But you know what?  The only person who really cares whether I win NaNo or not is me, anyway.  Those who read my books don't care; they just (generally) want me to get more out there to read as quickly as possible.  Which is, I have to add real quickly, part of why I stopped blogging so much--I've been focusing on getting drafts done.

But this manuscript takes some effort, and some research, and some harsh emotional trauma, to finish.  I was in tears a little earlier, in fact, writing about--well, no plot spoilers here.  Later, when you read the book, you'll know it when you see it.

So, sorry, but I probably won't be a 2014 NaNoWriMo winner. 

Ah, well.  You're really going to like this story, anyway.

- TOSK

No comments:

Post a Comment