Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Lights are on but I'm not home

Heh...well, the power came back on last night.  It's amazing how much joy you feel at such a simple thing as driving back into your neighborhood to see the lamps lit for the first time in days.  Unfortunately, the lights were out during my prime writing time over the weekend, and so my story is still just moping along.  I pushed out another 2000 words last night, and another 1000 this morning, but I can't write when I'm not at home.  Hopefully my efforts this weekend will bring the finished story into the world. 

Speaking of efforts--a SASE found its way back to me.  This one made me a little sad, as it was one of the agencies from whom I'd really been hoping to hear something positive.  It was unmistakable, though; I'd put my own mailing address in both spots on the envelope in part to make them recognizable and in part to prevent my evil mailman from returning it to the sender after stuffing my mailbox with wads of junk mail and sales papers.  So there it was, and when I opened it out fell the crisp stationery of one of the larger agencies, its surface emblazoned with the following message:

Dear Author,


I appreciate that you thought of me for your project, and I apologize for responding with this form letter.  I hate getting called for jury duty this way...But [sic] I usually receive about 300 inquiries a week and I'm unable to respond personally to each one.


Rest assured though, I read them all--including your own, which isn't right for me and my list.  As an agent, I have to jump on those projects that excite me from the get go and step aside on the ones that I know I can't properly champion.


Many thanks for the look.


All best,
Agent's name
Agency name

That's five.  I think I am getting a bit of a scab over the wound now; though I was truly hoping for great news from this agency in particular, the rejection doesn't hurt at all.  It's just another bump on the road.  Aspiring writers, then, can take some measure of happiness from the fact that rejection letters do, in fact, stop reaching into your chest and drawing out your heart after a certain number have reached you. 

As for the contents, I'm not trying to get snarky here, of course, but--well, I'd think that a literary agent would use proper grammar in his self-described form letter.  Am I wrong for such an assumption?  I'll overlook errors in personal correspondence all day long, but a form letter?  And especially a form letter that carries a negative message?  I wonder how many times he gets snarky responses.  I'll not give him one, of course, as there's no good that might come from it.  It's just a bit strange, is all I'm saying. 

1 comment:

  1. Since it has grammar errors it was likely written by some poor clerk and mail merged. LOL I'm fairly sure that my lovely form letters have a lot of errors in them despite being picked over by a half dozen professionals... I know I find errors in their letters as I'm mailing them! :-)

    Your writing dream will come true... it all takes time.

    ReplyDelete