Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Cats and Grammar and Girls

"Ignorant people think it is the noise which fighting cats make that is so aggravating, but it ain't so; it is the sickening grammar they use." - Mark Twain

"Devotees of grammatical studies have not been distinguished for any very remarkable felicities of expression." - Bronson Alcott

"This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put!" - Winston Churchill, I think

"Meow Mrow Mrrow Mrow Mrrowwww." - Our cat

Okay, so I'm quite tired, at the end of what was quite a long day.  Luckily I have beer.  Beer makes things better.

I have writing, too, and in that direction I will soon launch.

That said, I saw an article today that irritated me.  It managed that not-so-challenging trick by trying to explain to me how to write like a girl.  Girls, you see, interject a lot, finish each others' stories, speak with more description and more empty adverbs (like "really"), and finish more sentences with question marks.

Really? 

I suppose I must bow my head briefly to Ye Olde Stereotype.  Yes, it exists, as the article I just described proved.  And it exists, most often (I suppose), because so many people hold it as truth.

So here's the question--do I write my Elf Queen (a late-teenage girl) as a stereotype or how I hear her speaking in my head?

- TOSK

No comments:

Post a Comment