Thursday, January 3, 2013

Those Morning People

"If you're going to do something tonight that you'll be sorry for tomorrow morning, sleep late." - Henny Youngman

"Morning is when the wick is lit.  A flame ignited, the day delighted with heat and light, we start the fight for something more than before." - Jeb Dickerson

"If people were meant to pop out of bed, we'd all sleep in toasters." - Unknown

"I have a 'carpe diem' mug and, truthfully, at six in the morning the words do not make me want to seize the day. They make me want to slap a dead poet." - Joanne Sherman

"One key to success is to have lunch at the same time of day most people have breakfast." - Robert Brault

"Every morning is a beautiful morning." - Terri Guillemets

"The sun has not caught me in bed in fifty years." - Thomas Jefferson

"Dawn: when men of reason go to bed." - Ambrose Bierce

---------------------

As you can see in the varied attitudes expressed by the quotations above, the jury is still out on this whole "morning person" thing.  Some people love it, while others do not.

Me?  I'm undecided.  No, really--I know how much of a cop-out the whole "undecided" declaration can be, but I'm honestly not sure.  I used to be a, um, whatever you call the opposite of morning person.  Not one of *those people*, never, nuh uh, not at all, not even in the slightest.  Set my alarm before 7?  Ugh.  Before 5?  Not unless I was fishing or catching a flight, man, and even then I would complain bitterly until the first fish was caught or the first bloody mary consumed.

Yet now, sadly, unfortunately, I find my anti-morning stance slipping. 

Don't get me wrong.  I love sleeping in.  Always have. Recently, though, I've found my definition of sleeping in to be morphing away from "about the time the sun is highest in the sky" to closer to 8:00 am.  Today, when I needed to get up and at 'em before dawn so I could be at work especially early, I actually found myself kind of enjoying the experience.  What's not to enjoy, really?  The coffee is nice and hot.  The roads are fairly empty as I chug my way down the asphalt river.  The sun isn't even in my eyes yet at that point in the morning.  And it's quiet--did I mention quiet?  I like quiet, especially when I'm plotting in my head regarding a--well, a plot.  Yes, quiet is good.

So, all things considered, maybe I am becoming one of *those people*.

Are you one of *those people*?  Or do you prefer sleeping till the crack of noon?

- TOSK

1 comment:

  1. Definitely one of 'those' people. And earlier than you, my friend. ;-)

    ReplyDelete