Sunday, October 2, 2011

Some work ahead

So, I have a four-day week, or a six-day week, ahead of me, depending on how you look at it.  I'm only working Monday through Thursday, and taking Friday off, so that's clearly a four-day week.  On the other hand, I'm taking Friday off to attend a writers' conference (http://www.jamesriverwriters.org/jrw_programs/conference/) that day and Saturday, and since I plan on taking the cost of the conference out as a business expense on my taxes, I'd better call that work. 

There's another reason to call it work, though.  I am expecting to learn an awful lot there.  I'm also, having been to a conference or two in my day, expecting the amount I don't learn to far exceed the amount I do learn.  Take, for example, the first set of concurrent sessions.  I want to attend all four.  The other time periods are much the same.  If I could clone myself, problem solved, but I can't.  That means I get to spend some time planning the most effective approach to time--and session--management.  Sound like work to you yet?  Does to me.  Not work in the bad sense of the term, by any means, but work nonetheless. 

Trust me, I'm going to blog about it.  A lot.  

That week's got nothing on the following week, though.  After the conference I get Sunday mostly off, and then on Monday my Ph.D. program work launches again.  That, plus I want to go ahead and self-publish Cataclysm if nobody bites on it at the conference.  Whew. 

All that said, then, I'm happy to sit here and enjoy a nice Sunday morning relaxing with a cup of coffee. 

No comments:

Post a Comment